Just like any other appliances in the home, a dishwasher is one of the most useful tools you can have in your home. Not only it makes your life easier, but it also helps in saving some of your time and spend it to more important things, like family bonding. Yes, it is very useful and inexpensive; however, when it takes its toll, it becomes frustrating and could cause problems such as water damage.
A simple leak from a dishwasher can become a big problem. Water can travel inside your home and will seep into areas that are accessible to do so. Addressing the issue promptly is extremely necessary.
How Can Dishwasher Water Damage Your Home
There are plenty of reasons that a dishwasher can damage some parts of your home or parts that are susceptible to water such as tile, wood, drywall, wallpaper, laminate, and electrical wiring. Understanding how they can be damaged by a dishwasher can help in preventing water damage.
Worn Or Damaged Gaskets
A gasket is a silicone or rubber that is used to fill the space between the door and the tub. Its purpose is to prevent water to leak from the inside. However, a gasket has its limitation. It becomes deteriorated in the long run and a dishwasher could cause water damage. Regularly check for cracks or signs of potential damage on your dishwasher. If you are concerned, worried or anxious about the worn-out gasket, let professionals handle your problem.
Broken or Loose Water Lines
A dishwasher has two different connections. One line connects to the kitchen sink faucet and supplies clean water and the other one leads dirty water to drain out. These water lines can get loose over time. That is why giving it a quick check, at least every six months, is very crucial. Check the hoses. Replace them if necessary. Remember that supply lines can create ample damage when they break down.
Using of Wrong Dishwashing Soap
Using a regular dishwashing soap could lead to overflowing, bubbly scenario. And, it could result in water leaking from your dishwasher. Use only soap that is specifically designed for a dishwasher. If you must use regular dishwashing soap, it is better to wash dishes manually.
Broken Or Leaky Door
A broken or defective door is the most common cause of water damage by a dishwasher. The leak from the door of the dishwasher happens mostly due to the loosen latch and hinges or the crews on the door. You can solve this problem on your own by using the proper screwdriver. Tighten the screws as hard as you can.
A tub is the interior part of the dishwasher where you can find all the nozzles and racks. Detergents and minerals that are used in washing the dishes can be built up in the long run. These elements can corrode the lower part of the tub. If that happens, water can seep out and gather under your dishwasher. If the problem is difficult to handle and is frequently used, this problem might go unnoticed. Eventually, this problem can result in mold and water damage to the subflooring under your dishwasher. And, if the water leak is not mitigated right away, the damage can become more severe.
How to Prevent Water Damage from Your Dishwashers
- Scan the manual. Not all dishwashers are the same. As an owner, you should understand what is inside and outside of your dishwasher. The manual will give you ideas of the proper type and amount of soap you can use. Knowing important information can prevent problems that could cause water damage.
- Give your dishwasher proper maintenance. Proper maintenance can keep your dishwasher working properly. Most parts that you have to check on your dishwasher are flushing filters, rubber seals, gaskets, and spray nozzles.
- Use only the appropriate parts. The hoses and seals should be the appropriate ones for the type or model of your dishwasher. If you must change these parts, make sure that they properly fit your dishwasher. Unfit hoses and seals could lead to a leak.
- Check your supply line and drain hose. A dishwasher has two water lines, the clean water supply line and the dirty water drain hose. Damage to any one of them could lead to a water leak and mold growth. If you notice any problems, fix it right away or call a plumber.
- Use the dishwasher only when someone is at home. It is the best way to prevent water damage from a dishwasher. If the problem is seen right away, you can solve it at once.
Water damage caused by a dishwasher can be very frustrating and stressful. Not only you have to worry about the problem with the dishwasher itself but also with the repair requires for the damage it has caused. Don’t worry! A professional restoration company can help you solve this problem. They are equipped with advanced skills, equipment, and knowledge in fixing any type of water damage.
Contact professional restoration company today!